Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Frosty pick-me up

I have been battling a nasty cold for days and I been yearning for something cold on my weary throat but nothing has sounded good. I wanted something healthy, nutritious and satisfying. For some reason I started thinking of those Orange Julius stands in the mall and I realized that is what I craved. Obviously I wasn't about to learn how to drive a stick and hit up the suburban mall so I whipped up one of my own and it isn't half bad (and pretty healthy too)! Here's my improv recipe:

1 cup orange juice (orange juice concentrate might be better but I didn't have any on hand)
2/3 cup soy milk
splash of vanilla extract
handful of ice cubes until slushy

Then whoop it up in yer blender.

Although the orange flavor could be more pronounced the soy milk makes for a creamy and sweet aftertaste. The one thing missing is a colorful straw (and my health).

2 comments:

lani Keller said...

If only I were there to provide a bendy pink and green striped straw. Imagine the pleasure....

chira said...

my first job was at orange julius. they have this special powder that they use it contains egg whites and other stuff. i have found a packet at certain stores that sell this mix. its spot on.

mmm now i have a craving for one..